Friday, July 22, 2011

Christmas Rag Quilt

After I finished Zachary's quilt, I was still in the rag quilt sort of mood.  I have a lot of scrap fabric, so I was going to dig through and pick out reds and greens to make a Christmas quilt.  But when I got to the fabric store to buy a few more supplies I ended up with all new stuff.  

I did a few things differently this time, besides the size.
  • Instead of batting, I used a layer of flannel, cut the same size as the other squares.  I liked this a lot.  The blanket has a very nice weight.  I used green flannel, and the color peeks through all the seams.
  • I used regular cotton fabric on the top, instead of flannel.  This worked just as well, and adds a huge range of choices for colors and patterns.
  • I used a solid color for the backs of the squares, red flannel this time.
  • I didn't sew the X's across each square fabric sandwich.  I read this didn't need to be done if you are using flannel batting.  I wouldn't skip this step again.  I think the squares get a little bunchy.  And after I clipped the seams and washed it, over half of the intersections fell apart and had to be sewn again.

I had intended for this to be a gift, but after I had to fix so many of the intersections I think it looks funny.  But at least I have a Christmas quilt, now!



No comments:

Post a Comment